Daniel Pipes asks a poignant question in his op-ed in today’s edition of the New York Sun: After defeating the fascists and the communists, can the West now defeat the radical Islamists?
He then raises the possibility that the ‘radical islamists’ might actually win where the West’s earlier rivals failed because according to him however strong the West is physically, its software has some very critical bugs like pacifism, self-hatred and complacency, which are being exploited to the hilt by the radical islamists with help from the inside by means of the Western leftist elite who he terms as the ‘auxillary mujahideen’.
He goes on to say that the very absence of an impressive military machine with the radical islamists comparable to that of the Axis powers or the one commanded by the Soviets during the cold war might give many Westerners, especially on the left, a feeling of disdain.
Whereas conventional war — men in uniform; ships, tanks, and planes; and battles for land and resources — is simple to comprehend, the assymetric war with radical Islam is elusive. Box cutters and suicide belts make it difficult to perceive this enemy as a worthy opponent. Senator Kerry and too many others dismiss terrorism as a mere “nuisance.”
He then lists down the advantages that the radical islamists, even without a formidable military, have in comparison to what the earlier Axis or Communist rivals of the West lacked inspite of commanding massive and capable militaries.
- A religious appeal that provides deeper resonance and greater staying power than the artificial ideologies of fascism or communism.
- An impressively conceptualized, funded, and organized institutional machinery that successfully builds credibility, good will, and electoral success.
- An ideology capable of appealing to the masses from a wide varities of backgrounds in the Islamic world.
- A nonviolent approach wherever necessary and
- A huge number of committed cadres. If (radical) Islamists constitute 10 to 15% of the Muslim Population worldwide, they number some 125 to 200 million, a total far greater than all the fascists and communists(earlier rivals) , combined, who ever lived.